Monday, March 31, 2008

:(

Yesterday morning Buster looked the same as he had the night before. THe fact that he was still alive gave us hope. We dosed him with more remedies and went to church. When we came home Abby went to check on him and make him walk. Sam and I had to leave to go and pick up our bee packages. While we were on the road Abby called to say that Buster still hadn't pooped and he wasn't walking. So I called someone who knows even more than I do and was much closer than I was at the time. She came over and helped Abby and it was determined that he was imapcted.

When I returned with the bees, he was up and moving but still not pooping like he should have been given the amount of oil and milk of magnesia he'd been given. I installed my bees and we left to go install Donna's. While installing Donna's Abby called to tell us he was getting worse.

When we got back to the house he was starting to stumble and he had thrown up again. Sam and I went inside to discuss things and when we came out he was laying down with very labored breathing. At that point we made the decision and I got the girls to come and say goodbye. I took the girls to church while Sam dealt with Buster.

While losing any animal is not easy, Buster was special. If he had been one of our "livestock" it would have been different, but he was Abby's cart goat and her best buddy. Even though he weighed 150 pounds he thought he was the perfect lap goat. He managed to consume at least one prize ribbon per fair season and many more were pulled from his throat. It didn't matter where we put them he always managed to find one somewhere. He was famous for never wanting to go forwards in the cart. Many a time we threatened to hitch him to it backwards. Abby spent countless hours training him to voice commands and he won nearly every time he went in the ring. At home he would be stubborn and misbehave, but he seemed to know that in the ring it was important for him to be on his best behavior. He is now buried in the place of honor beside our faithful dogs, Jake and Bo.

4 comments:

Phyllis said...

I'm so sorry. I wish the outcome was a better one for all involved.

Monica said...

Abby & Amy. I'm so sorry....

Mama Ski said...

Better in the barn than in the home.

It's all I can say.

I can also say that if he had survived he would have, without a doubt, found his way to where another Laurel was and would have done the same thing. Nature of the beast!

I did make an offer to Abby (I don't know if she told you) that I would give her a Togg Buckling for cart use.

She then told me you gave her La Feet (as he will always be known to me). I am tickled to hear it. Although I hope cart pulling backwards is not an Obie thing he should make an impressive presence in the ring. I told her to start now before he realizes there is a backwards gear and Abby giggled. Put my heart to rest that there will be brighter days ahead soon.

Anonymous said...

How awful. Poor Abby. Thankfully, though, he isn't in pain anymore.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...