Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Rocks

It's been one of those weeks. (And it's only Wednesday!)
You know what I mean. Nothing is horribly wrong, but nothing is very much right either.
So I began to build a stonewall. Terrific therapy, stonewall building. You place the rock, the rock stays where you put it. (well most of the time) While I was working, I began to think about rocks, and walls, and God, and faith. These are my thoughts:

Building a stonewall is sweaty work. It's dirty work. It can be painful, if you're not careful. Even if you are being careful, sometimes things happen. Smashed fingers, scraped knuckles, bruised toes. But in the end, that pile of rocks becomes something beautiful. Something solid and dependable.

Stonewall building takes effort. The rocks don't place themselves! It takes thought. Thinking about shapes and sizes, angles and wedges. Sometimes you have to step back and look at the wall from a distance to get the full picture. But then you have to get back up close to put in those small "chinkers" to finish it right.

Sometimes the pieces don't go together the right way on the first attempt. You have to go back, take down what you built and start over. Sometimes you have to bring in new rocks that you haven't tried yet.

God talks about stonewalls. In Revelation he describes the walls of the kingdom:  "And the foundations of the wall of the city were garnished with all manner of precious stones. The first foundation was jasper; the second, sapphire; the third, a chalcedony; the fourth, an emerald; The fifth, sardonyx; the sixth, sardius; the seventh, chrysolyte; the eighth, beryl; the ninth, a topaz; the tenth, a chrysoprasus; the eleventh, a jacinth; the twelfth, an amethyst. " (Rev. 21:19- 20)

I can't even imagine the beauty. I mean, my wall looks nice, but it's nothing compared to that!

God talks about rocks. In fact, He is our Rock: "There is none holy as the Lord: for there is none beside thee: neither is there any rock like our God." (1 Samuel 2:2)

As my rock, God is my security. He is my strength. He will never leave me. These are the "rocks" of truth that I can build my faith with. Someday, I will get to see this "wall" that I am building. I am hopeful that God will be looking at it with me and He will say: "Well done, good and faithful servant".

But for now, I press on.

1 comment:

~*~The Family~*~ said...

This is good, I needed this message this morning - Thanks :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...