Friday, November 11, 2011

Gifts

Have I mentioned before how much I LOVE our library? I merely mention a book in passing to the librarian, and two weeks later they call me, tell me it has arrived, and I get to read it first!

I am reading "One Thousand Gifts" by Ann Voskamp. I think it's a must-read for this season of thankfulness, which just happens to come right before the season of ungratefulness, discontent, gimme's, and Iwant's.

It is a bit tough to get into at first. Her writing style is different from others I have read. She writes with imagery; pictures painted with words. Once I moved beyond the first chapter it became easier to read. I still found myself rereading sections and paragraphs, but mainly because there was an idea or thought that I really needed to grasp (mull over, tear into, analyze fully...).

Ann Voskamp chronicles her journey of investigating the attitude of thankfulness/gratefulness in her life. She briefly touches on her history; why she thought the way she did prior to her searching. Then she dives right in. Her story involves using the best source ever for an exploration of gratitude: the Bible. Along with other resources, she develops a definition of thankfulness based on biblical terms, Jesus' examples, and God's commandments.

I have found this little book difficult to put down, and even when I've had to (people in this house were requesting meals and clean laundry. The nerve!), I've found myself mulling over ideas and thoughts that the author expressed. My mind keeps returning to biblical passages she quotes and meditating on them.

I haven't finished the book yet, but it has already changed my outlook. "Thanksgiving" has a new meaning for me.

1 comment:

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

I really need to get this book! I keep hearing about it practically on every blog I go to!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...