Thursday, December 6, 2007

Raynaud's phenomenon

My oldest daughter was diagnosed this morning with Raynaud's Phenomenon. So, I thought I'd do some research and post it here. Maybe someone else will benefit from it.

Raynaud's phenomenon (pronounced: RAY-nodz), disorder causing discoloration of the fingers, toes and occasionally other extremities. The cause of the phenomenon is unknown, but stress and cold are common triggers. There are two types of Raynaud's phenomenon 1. Primary Raynaud's, where the phenomenon acts alone. And 2. Raynaud's syndrome or Secondary Raynaud's, where it is secondary to something else, often arthritis.

I am relieved to learn it is neither life threatening, nor is it even a quality of life issue for her at this point. She needs to be diligent about dressing warmly and protecting her fingers and toes from the cold. We need to find her some mittens that have fingers and then the mitten part can flip on or off the fingers. I would love it if anyone has suggestions of where to find such things. I do have a mother-in-law is an avid accomplished knitter. So even if you know of a pattern available, let me know.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I myself have Raynaud's and have found from Plow N" Hearth Catalog or their website a product called "wristies". they are fingerless gloves but they have a pocket that holds a hand warmer. I love this product as I can wear these in the house and still be productive reading and writing and doing daily activities.
Good Luck

Amy Smith said...

Thank you for the insight! I will look them up!

Monica said...

Amy, here's a pattern book that contains a pattern for convertable gloves/mittens in a child size. The gloves are fingerless, but your mom should be able to continue the fingers to full length. http://www.bernat.com/patternbook.php?PBS=530157%20&PHPSESSID=http%3A

hope you find something!

Clairejr said...

Hi,

I've had Raynaud's for almost 10 years and I've found several things that help. I found a sewing pattern for mittens and I made about 6 pairs in a variety of materials (fleece, quilt, flannel). Also, keeping your daughter's head warm will help keep the rest of her from freezing.

This year I decided to start a blog with some of my tips, partly to get other people's input and partly to work off some of my winter depression. Take a look at it and let me know what you think:

Raynaud's Tips & Information

Claire

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...