Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Bee rated

One of my bee hives is dead. Thousands of dead bees litter the doorway of the hive. Thousands more are dead on the inner cover. I don't know exactly what killed them. I assume it was the bizarre weather. Sixty degrees for a few days and then below freezing for the last week. They just got confused and perished thinking it was Spring.
I haven't checked the other hive yet. I saw a few bees flying around it yesterday, but it certainly wasn't the amount it should have been. I fear if it isn't dead, it soon will be.
My new bees are coming on March 30th. At least now I don't have to worry about my backordered supplies making it here in time. I can just reuse the stuff I have. And now I don't have to worry about re-queening the hives either. And hey when my new stuff does get here, I'll be all set if there is a swarm this year.

2 comments:

Mama Ski said...

Now that is what I like to read, Optimism at its finest!

Do you think if you had the division board feeders it would have helped keep the bees inside?

Do you think the pollen substitute should have been held off?

Just consider yourself an equipment supplier to those bee keepers who were more fortunate.

Phyllis said...

Sorry to hear you've lost at least one of your hives. I'm still on the lookout for a swarm here -- you'll be the first person I call!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...