Thursday, March 6, 2008

Girl scout cookies

Yes, it is that time of year again: Girl Scout cookies. It is the time when I begin to question my sanity and really wish I could learn to say "NO"! I also begin to question why I bother to make deadlines or why I bother to meet my obligations since apparently half of the "real world" doesn't bother.

On Tuesday the girls and I loaded over 1000 cookies into my van and brought them into our living room to sort into piles for each family in the girl scout troop. My girls were a great help as I was able to sit on the couch and yell out cookies and numbers: "Nathalie, 6 tref; Abby, 38 Sam; Hannah, 14 Dosies...". It only took 2 1/2 hours from start to finish.

Yesterday, Wednesday, was cookie pick up day. Rachel's troop leader was kind enough to drop of Rachel's cookies at my house. As was Hannah and Samantha's troop leader. She picked up her daughter's cookies from my house at the same time. Cookie pick up at my house ran from 5-7PM. Of course, we, in that time period, were feeding animals, making syrup, and cooking dinner. Sam also ran out with Nathalie to go and pick up her cookies from her troop leader's house.

By 7PM I still had 7 families that had not picked up cookies, out of a troop of 15. Not one of these people called. I now will have to call them. Last year I drove cookies around to people's houses. Not gonna happen this year; I have kidding, I have a van that gets 12 miles to the gallon on a good day, and I live completely on the other side of town from everyone else (and it is a big town! 13 miles just for me to get to the center of town).

This is on top of people who didn't turn in their forms on time, said they would email me their orders the very next day and didn't. And if this year is like last year, they won't turn in their money at the deadline either. I will be calling them and trying to arrange a pick up for that too.

I enjoy being cookie mom. It gives me the chance to help out the troop in a way that only involves the month of March. It just seems that each year more and more people are failing to meet the deadlines. To me it just boils down to being inconsiderate. My time is just as important as their time, so please don't waste it.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...