Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Will Spring come?

Finally, things are settling down a bit around here. The newest chicks are in under their heat lamps. We didn't lose a single one this time around. Hannah is excited because her "free rare chick" has a crest.

The Chicken Emporium has been painted and the fencing assembled. Today we will introduce the older chicks to it. The four new Chinese Silkie roosters that Hannah adopted from the Humane Society yesterday are settled in their mini coop while they are quarantined for a few weeks. Their crowing this morning set all the dogs to barking, but it is nice to have crowing here again. We haven't had a rooster for nearly 4 years.

My bees are in their hives. Today I will check to see if they have released the queen. They were very reluctant to leave their boxes. I have never had that happen before. I think perhaps it was just too cold.

The two does who are due and past due at this point are looking ready to explode. Today is supposed to be nice; warmer and partly sunny. A good day to birth some babies.

Yesterday we observed a pair of wood ducks nesting in a tree in our goat pen. Seeing a web-footed creature 40 feet up in a tree is a sight to behold! We hope they stay and hatch their babies.

I cleaned the leaves off of my crocusi and daffodils. Perhaps Spring really will come? I look at my yard and I am anxious to get the winter debris cleaned up. Perhaps if the sun really does come out today, we will take the day off from schoolwork and work outside.

2 comments:

Mama Ski said...

I wouldn't consider it time off from school if they are identifying plants, planning new plantings and are actively involved in recycling and ecology........

I am not planning to check my queen until Sunday....is that too late?

Anonymous said...

What a cheerful change from your last posting, Amy. We're glad for you guys that the signs of coming Spring can bring hope in the wake of the recent sadness. You remind me that I have some hyacinths that need to be set free from winter leaf cover. I forgot to do that for my daffy's and they were crying for help - oak leaves make a fearsome mat to have to poke thru. They were all yellow, but are ow mostly green.

Enjoy this breezy but sunny day.

Peter

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...