Monday, October 20, 2008

Missionaries

We had missionaries http://missionaircare.org/website/about-malpass.php speak at our church yesterday evening. They are based in Alaska and have a ministry that provides services to other missionaries in Alaska. Everything is done by plane or ski-do! It was very interesting and the photos were simply spectacular!

The missionaries purchase their food one month at a time. They order it online from a Sam's Club. It then costs them 45% of their total bill in order for it to be shipped to their village! I can't even imagine!

Sam said to me later that night,"Remember when we were first married and we wanted to do short term missions?"

Yup, I remember. It wasn't exactly a "we"; more of a "me".

He says, "We could go to Alaska. No immunizations. Just a passport."

::Thud:: That was the sound my jaw made when it hit the floor.

He adds, "You know, in a few years when the girls are older, it would be possible."

Pretty cool. Can't wait to see what God does with this!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Been there; (brother) done that. My oldest brother and his family were missionaries in Alaska back before it was state, and our parents and I got to live with them for 18 months when I was a child. I have vivid memories of living on a potato farm ten miles east of Fairbanks. It's why I love winter!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...