Thursday, November 4, 2010

Christmas

I know! I know! We haven't even celebrated Thanksgiving yet! But, I am so excited about Christmas this year!

Barring any unforeseen craziness, or Sam being promoted to Lieutenant in the next few weeks (which isn't likely as he's 6th or 7th on the promotion list), he will be home for Christmas!

Let me repeat that, in case you missed it:

SAM WILL BE HOME FOR CHRISTMAS!!!

It will be the first time in 14 years that we will have a Christmas Eve and a Christmas Day, on the actual days! We have done some crazy things to make Christmas work for us. When the girls were little we just moved Christmas Eve and Christmas Day to either the 25th/26th or 23rd/24th. We have even had Christmas on the 21st and once we spent Christmas Eve to Christmas Day at my parents house. The girls never knew the difference.

For the last few years we've created a Christmas Day Brunch celebration where we invited my family to the house on the morning of the 25th, for a brunch that the girls and I spent all morning preparing. This activity distracted them from what was under the tree and waiting for Daddy to come home. Sam would take an "emergency three hour leave" from the firehouse, drive an hour home, spend an hour at home opening gifts with us, and then drive an hour back to the firehouse. After Sam left, we would pack all the food up and drive up to my parent's house for the Christmas Day meal there.

This year we will still have our brunch, but we won't be waiting for Daddy, and I'll have gotten a good night's sleep beforehand!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so great! I am happy you finally have the chance to have Christmas on the correct day. I'll keep my fingers crossed that nothing changes. Bev

Phyllis said...

That is AWESOME news, Amy!! I'm so thrilled that you'll get to enjoy this. I know you'll cherish it to the fullest!

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

I'm so happy for you! I so know what you mean. The last few years it has worked out that we have had both Christmas and Christmas eve off. This is probably the last year and then it will be 10 years again before it works out that way.

I'm soooo happy for you!

Bummer on the promotion though:(

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...