Wednesday, November 3, 2010

MMMM! Homemade Bread!

I have a new love. His name is Herman.
Herman is my new sourdough starter. My friend Phyllis gave me some of her starter that she named Herman. I am sure there is a story for the name, but I do not know it. Along with Herman came some recipes: sourdough bread, cinnamon rolls, coffee cake, etc.

And so, a new part of my morning routine is to remove Herman from the fridge and let him come to room temperature before turning him into a delicious treat. The family has really enjoyed waking to the smell of Herman baking in the oven. A number of loaves of bread and containers of cinnamon rolls have made their way to the firehouse, often snatched up barely cool enough to handle!

I have yet to tackle the sourdough donut recipe, but that one may be next!

2 comments:

Phyllis said...

everyday?? Girl, you're hooked!
Herman came with his name. Gordon was given a sourdough starter by a teacher when he was a child. In my quest to find the 'perfect' sourdough pancake recipe, I stumbled on Herman. Low and behold, it's the SAME KIND of starter that Gordon had had! Of course, as my luck goes, one of my sister in laws mentioned AFTER I'd discovered Herman that she recollected Gordon's original starter was called Herman too.

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

I love, love, love making my own bread. I don't buy bread anymore. Too expensive!

I also wanted you to know that I answered your question in the comment section on my blog. You might want to check it out.

Happy baking!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...