Friday, December 3, 2010

Another One Joins the Ranks!

Hannah turns thirteen today! Another teenager in the Smith house!

I am so amazed with how my Hannah has grown. She is my proof that God is good, gracious, and loving. My proof that God hears, and answers, our prayers. We have always joked how if Hannah had been our first child, she'd have been an only child! After two very easy babies, Hannah came kicking and screaming into our world. Nothing soothed her. She was sensitive to everything tactile. She didn't want to be cuddled. And it seemed she never slept. She had a pitch to her cries that set my teeth and every nerve in my body, on edge.

We have many stories of long days and nights of Hannah as a baby. I remember one night especially, when Sam had been working the three-on-three-off schedule. It was his first night home after three nights at the firehouse and Hannah was about six months old. She hadn't slept for longer than twenty minutes at a time for the last three days/nights. I was exhausted. Sam spent that night driving all around Norwich with Hannah buckled in her car seat. As soon as Hannah would fall asleep, he would pullover somewhere, recline his seat and nap. When she awoke, he drove again until she slept again. He discovered that NOTHING is open at 3 AM in Norwich. He and Hannah together watched the sun rise over the lake. I believe in that one night, Sam and Hannah forged a bond that will never be broken. She definitely has had him wrapped around her finger ever since!

Hannah is stubborn, but thankfully, God has shaped it into something beautiful: She doesn't give up. Hannah's persistence and stubbornness, literally, has driven me to my knees. It was through our struggles that I learned to really pray. She is my most compassionate child. Her ability to empathize with the pain of others has often been heartbreaking to witness, but has given her an amazing gift to work with and encourage those who struggle. She has a desire to be a pediatric physical therapist, something I know she will do amazing things with.

Happy Birthday Hannah!

2010

2010

2005

2005

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Hannah! Bev

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...