Monday, February 28, 2011

Books!

One of my new organizational things for this year is "Office Day". This is the day I spend time sorting through the stack of papers on my desk, clean out one drawer of my desk, and make lists.

I like lists. They are visual and I am so very much a visual person! My girls know they can not rattle off a math problem from across the room and expect me to be able to help them. They have to bring me the book and even then I usually must re-write the problem, so I can "see" it.

With lists, I can cross off what's been done. Once the list is completely crossed off, there is a real sense of accomplishment; something that is rare in my current occupation of "Mom". When my husband calls and asks me about my day, I can look at my list and tell him exactly what I have done. I can know I did something, even if it feels like I did nothing but go in circles all day!

The list I recently created was of books. I think I have read every book that interested me at our library and I have recently been introduced to the Online Inter-Library Loan system for our library. From home I can find out if our library has a certain title. If it does not, I can request it from another library, and have it delivered to my library. When it arrives the librarians call me and let me know it is in. All for free!

So here is my list of books I "Want To Read". Some are fiction (F), some non-fiction (NF), and even a few children's books (C) I thought looked good. There are a couple of Young Adult (YA) books on the list that I will be reading before they are approved for the girls to read.

The Whispering Brook Farm Series by Carrie Bender (YA)
Steady Days by Jamie Martin (NF)
Where the Jewels Are by Diana Symons (C)
Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller (?)
Organized Simplicity by Tsh Oxenreider (NF)
Crazy Love by Francis Chan (NF)
That Camden Summer by LaVyrle Spencer (F)
A Golden Sunbeam by Carrie Bender (YA)
Believing God by R.C. Sproul Jr. (NF)
The Pirate Queen by Patricia Hickman (F)
A Dream Unfolding by Karen Baney (F)
Think by John Piper (NF)
The Egg by M.P. Roberston (C)
365 Thank Yous by John Kralik (NF)
Paradise Valley by Dale Cramer (F)
The Preacher's Bride by Jody Hedlund (F)
Trion Rising-Shadowside Trilogy by Robert Elmer (C)
Under the Overpass by Mike Yankoski (NF)
Family to Family by Jerry Pipes and Victor Lee (NF)
Sir Kendrick and the Castle of Bel Lione by Chuck Black (C)

I would love to hear from you if you have read any of these, or if you have any recommendations for me to add to my list.

3 comments:

Phyllis said...

I'm a list maker too! I LOVE lists. Funnily enough, I was just saying last week that I need to make an updated 'To Be Read' list as well as a 'Read' list. Yes. I like to track what I've read, but haven't updated that list in over a year.
I haven't read any of the books you listed, but a few have piqued my curiosity. I just might add a couple to my list!
P.S. I've used the ILL system so often. I LOVE that we have access to so many more books than just what's in our own library.

ElendilPickle said...

I've only read Blue Like Jazz. I enjoyed it - didn't entirely agree with his theology, but Miller makes some good points about how we should treat others.

ALLGEMS said...

We need to have an "Office Day" btw my Mom loves lists too lol! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...