Monday, April 18, 2011

Under the Overpass

I recently finished reading Under the Overpass by Mike Yankoski. Very rarely do I stay up late to read a book. I just can't do my life if I am sleep deprived! Not only did I stay up late, but I also got up early to finish this one!

This is the story of two guys who wanted to determine the effectiveness of the "church" in reaching the homeless of America. They felt the best way to do that would be to become homeless themselves. They spent about six months living on the streets, in six different cities. What they discovered is both eye-opening and sobering.

This book will cause you to take hard look at what it really means to "love your neighbor". It has caused me to once again evaluate how comfortable I really am even when I think times are difficult.

I am still mulling over what this book has to say about the state of christianity in America. American christians are pretty comfortable in their faith and this book shows that most of us need to step out and get uncomfortable, even a little radical or fanatical!  I highly recommend borrowing this book from the library.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...