Friday, February 3, 2012

But It's Just...

It's been nearly 4 weeks since I broke my toe. I am just now able to walk without a significant limp but I am still unable to put on a shoe. It has been a frustrating time of being unable to do all the things I normally do.

I have found myself repeatedly saying, "But it's just a toe! And it's just a little one to boot!" Such a little thing and yet it has had such an impact on my life: Weight gain, less laundry washed, the girls were lax in their chores because I couldn't inspect, and dates with Sam were limited, just to name a few.

How many other "little" things do we allow which impact our lives in ways that we just can't see? How many times do we justify our behavior with, "But it's just..."?

But it's just a little white lie.

But it's just a little bit over the speed limit.

But it's just a little more than I need.

But it's just a little immodest/inappropriate.

But it's just (insert your own excuse here)...



And yet the ramifications can be huge.

Proverbs 6: 10-11  Yet a little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to sleep: So shall thy poverty come as one that travelleth, and thy want as an armed man.


Ecclesiastes 10:1 As dead flies give perfume a bad smell, so a little folly outweighs wisdom and honor. 


Of course this is the negative side, there's also the positive.


It's just a little money...


It's just a little time...                                 


It's just a little effort...


 Matthew 17:20 And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.


And so I am committing myself to take note of the "But it's just's..." in my life and to be sure they're working towards the positive, rather than the negative.











No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...