Tuesday, January 7, 2020

New Year 2020

Last year at this time I wrote:

“For 2019 I am choosing the word ADVENTURE. By definition adventure is "an undertaking usually involving danger and unknown risks." It also means "to proceed despite risk." I want 2019 to be the year that we keep going despite the risks that we can see, and the ones that will surprise us. We want to keep building on who we are, growing better, finding our new purpose, developing new skills and talents, and always seeking God's plan.”

2019 was a year of work. Working to become foster parents. Growing our marriage. Building our new house into our home. Striving to heal from past hurts. Crossing items off our bucket list. Taking chances with ourselves and with others. Clearly, we were busy.

And now we are weary. Work, growth, building, healing, and adventures all take effort. So, I believe our word for 2020 is STAND. Standing can be a defensive or offensive position: stand against something (defensive) or stand up for something (offensive). Stand can also be a cessation of movement or process; neither offensive or defensive, just being still.

Even Jesus grew weary and rested: at the well (John 4:6), in a boat during a storm (Mark 4:38), and on a mountain alone (Matthew 14:23). Jesus maintained his ministry, while still taking time for himself. If the savior of the world can take a rest and stand still, then so can I. Being busy doesn’t make me more spiritual. If I am resting and taking care of my body and mind, it does not mean I am selfish. 

I will stand upon what was built in 2019 and during 2020, I will stand up for myself and stand against what others say I should be doing. I will stand still when I need time alone. 


In 2020 I want to be found standing!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...